Change your Spark Plugs in 6 StepsMay 2, 2019 4:05 pm
Estimated Time: 20-30 minutes
Required Tools: Socket wrench, 12” socket extension, spark plug socket
Spark plugs are an essential piece of your engine that allows your car to start up smoothly. Your spark plugs create the electrical charge that makes your pistons fire. You may not think about your spark plugs very often, but most spark plugs should be replaced every 30,000 miles or so. You should check your car’s owner’s manual to make sure that you change your spark plugs on the recommended schedule. If you want to get new spark plugs for your car or truck, come into your local U Pull & Pay today to find the best deals on tons of truck and car parts. Don’t be intimidated by the idea of changing your own spark plugs, just follow these six easy steps.
- Start by locating your spark plugs on your engine. They should be easy to find as they are attached by thick rubbery wires.
- Depending on how many cylinders your car’s engine has, you will have four, six, or eight spark plugs to replace. Make sure that you have purchased enough spark plugs to replace them all at the same time.
- Remove the wire to the first spark plug only. It is important that you DO NOT REMOVE ALL OF THE WIRES AT ONCE. Your spark plugs need to be installed and replaced in a specific order, which you will need to keep track of.
- Attach the 12-inch attachment and spark plug socket to your socket wrench and remove the first spark plug.
- Once you have removed the first plug, install your new spark plug by screwing it in by hand until it is tight and then tighten it with the wrench. Only tighten the spark plug to the point where it is snug and make sure that you do not overtighten the plug.
- Reattach the spark plug wire and proceed onto the next plug. Make sure that you follow the sequence of plugs specified in your owner’s manual.
If you buy the right plugs for your car, you won’t have to worry about gapping your plugs, as they will come pre-gapped. Come into your local U Pull & Pay and talk to one of our expert sales staff today. Our automotive experts will make sure that you leave our lot with the perfect parts for your project at an unbeatable price.
Categorised in: Albuquerque, Aurora, Cincinnati, Colorado-Springs, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Orlando, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, West-palm-beach
This post was written by Jonathan Kling